PLEASE NOTE: Helensville Museum will be closed until early 2020 for maintenance and refurbishment.
Please bear with us while we undertake this important work.
... to the Helensville
Museum at its home on the Helensville River Reserve.
The Helensville Museum takes you back in time, with displays housed in historic and new purpose-built buildings situated on the River Reserve, Mill Road at the southern entrance to the town.
The Museum also has an extensive collection of archival material available for the use of researchers.
The Helensville & District Historical Society (Inc) has invested
over $350,000 since mid-2003 in relocating the Museum from its former position
behind the Helensville War Memorial Hall to the current one hectare
site - its boldest move since the Society was formed in 1968.
Five buildings are featured - Helensville’s original and
only courthouse, built in 1864 and in use until 1979; Hedley House
(1910-1912), now restored to its original use as a typical Edwardian
villa; Helensville Primary School’s original schoolhouse
(1883), and the Hector Nicholls Barn, which houses farming, fishing, milling and other similar equipment, and a 2011 addition is the former Waitoki School 'Sunshine' block. The next addition will be an Archival and Research Centre; work on this building is currently underway.
The site is leased from the Rodney District Council until 2068, when the Society will celebrate its centennial.
OUR MISSION: To promote, understand, and preserve the history and heritage of the district, and its intrinsic values. Our past is our future.